Hello again, I’m Sarah,
My blog is all about trying out recipes for healthy eating, finding ways to keep fit and lose weight too. It’s really important to enjoy what you do and that’s especially true about the choices you make with food and exercise.
I’m working hard to eat more healthily because as we all know, one of the things that can happen when we gain too much weight is that it can put a strain on your heart. If we are over-weight our heart muscles can become stressed and get weaker. That can bring complications later in life like heart disease, something we would all like to avoid if possible.
It’s also good to keep an eye on what’s in the foods we buy. For example lots of ready meals and sweets contain a lot of salt and sugar. Too much sugar can cause tooth and gum problems and mean you have to pay extra visits to the dentist or worse still lose some teeth. Highly salted foods are not good for you either.
I also think that exercise is just as important as diet when you are trying to lose weight and keep healthy and well. Walking whenever you can each day makes a real difference. If your body is healthy, your mood and the way you think will be better and if you eat well too, it’s been proven that you’ll probably live longer and be happier!
I chose this recipe today because I love chicken. Normally, I would probably go for spicy chicken wings but I know that they are not good for you because they are high in fat and too much fat can make you put on weight which can lead to a heart attack. So here is a ‘slimmer’ chicken recipe I think is tasty, easy to make and pretty healthy too:
You will need for 4 people:
- 500g of skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 Fresh Chinese or Thai spice kit made up of lemon grass, fresh or dried kaffir lime leaves, red chillies, garlic, fresh chives and a piece root ginger. If you can’t find a kit, use your own ingredients. Make sure that you peel and chop them all finely. Remember to take the seeds out of the chillies and be careful handling them!
- Some low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 level teaspoon of sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve but only if you want to
- 6 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- A small handful each of roughly chopped fresh coriander and mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, leaves separated, to serve
Here’s what you need to do:
Put the chicken, lemon grass, lime leaves, red chilli, garlic, chives and ginger into a blender or food processor and blend very briefly until everything is finely chopped but be careful not to over blend, because you don’t want to make a paste. If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you’ll need to chop everything very finely.
Spray a wok or large frying pan with the low calorie cooking spray and place it over a high heat. Add your spicy chicken mixture and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Then you can add the sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce.
Reduce the heat a little and stir-fry for another 5 minutes, adding the spring onions and cook everything for about another minute.
Take your cooking pan off the heat, add the chopped mint and coriander, pour the lime juice over everything and stir together, mixing well.
Finally all you have to do is spoon portions of the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves and serve, if you want to, with a small bowl of sweet chilli sauce to your guests right away.
Why don't you give it a try and let me know how you get on by contacting email@example.com